• What is an enrolled agent? An enrolled agent (EA) is a federally licensed tax practitioner who has proven technical expertise in the field of taxation. Enrolled agents are empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before all administrative levels of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for audits, collections, and appeals. Only EAs, attorneys, and certified public accountants (CPAs) may represent taxpayers before IRS.
  • How can an EA help me? Enrolled agents advise, represent, and prepare tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts, and any entities with tax-reporting requirements. The expertise of EAs in the continuously changing field of taxation enables them to effectively represent taxpayers audited by the IRS.
  • Are enrolled agents required to take continuing professional education? In addition to the stringent testing and application process, the IRS requires enrolled agents to complete 72 hours of continuing professional education, reported every three years, to maintain their EA status. NAEA members are obligated to complete 90 hours per three-year reporting period. Because of the knowledge necessary to become an EA and the requirements to maintain the license, there are only about 40,000 practicing EAs.
  • What are the differences between enrolled agents and other tax professionals? Only EAs are required to demonstrate to the IRS their competence in matters of taxation before they may represent a taxpayer before the IRS. Unlike attorneys and CPAs, who may or may not choose to specialize in taxes, all EAs specialize in taxation. EAs are the only taxpayer representatives who receive their right to practice from the U.S. government (CPAs and attorneys are licensed by the states).
  • Why do I need year-round accounting for my business? Analyzing your financial situation is critical to the success of your business. If you only review your financial data when gathering them to have your tax returns prepared, you are missing opportunities to cut costs and increase revenues. Given the current state of the economy, it is also necessary to have current financial statements to provide banks, lending institutions, insurance providers, or even potential buyers in the event you wish to sell your business.
  • How much will my tax return cost? Tax returns are priced based on complexity. Because tax laws are subject to change each year, the amount of work required to prepare your return may change from year to year. We base our prices on the forms required to complete the return, and the manner in which we receive information from you. We will never prepare a tax form that is not required or beneficial to the taxpayer.